Mustered Out on Mertactor

194-1107

Wide Sargasso Sea

The party members are up early to catch breakfast as soon as it is served at 0600. Once fed and watered, they all check out of The Savoy and pile their luggage into the AGC before Max puts the AGC on maximum thrust and it shoots up vertically. He then puts his foot hard down and the vehicle accelerates hard, thrusting everyone into their seats.

Soon Furingort is just a blur in the rear view vidscreen as the AGC shoots over the rugged terrain of Quanchiovt. After a couple of hours, the mountain range forming the spine of the island passes beneath the high flying vehicle and Max starts to descend. Three more hours later and the bright blue waters of the ocean are ahead.

Once the AGC is over the sea, Max brings the AGC down, skimming over the azure waters just a few metres over the gentle waves. After a couple of hours, the beauty of the sea starts to wear off a little and, with no land in sight, it starts to get a little repetitive.

Having Max driving also means that Max is in control of the stereo and, after several hours of non-stop dubstep, it’s starting to grate on people’s nerves.

During conversation, the others learn that Stian is also very experienced with grav vehicles and so it is suggested that Max takes a break from driving. He is getting a little bored himself and so doesn’t object at moving over to give Stian a go at the controls.

The rest of the afternoon passes uneventfully. In this part of the ocean, they pass over many of the ‘greenmats’ that the oceans of Pagaton are famous for, impenetrable masses of seaweed that only the sturdiest of ironclads are able to penetrate.

Stian stifles a yawn as the journey continues. It is late afternoon now and they are around 4500km of the way through the 7000km journey.

All of a sudden there is an almighty explosion from beneath the AGC which sends the party members flying from their seats in a hail of shrapnel. Stian wrestles with the controls as the AGC tumbles from the sky.

Stian wrestles with the joystick, trying to pull the stricken vehicle out from its dive as there is no power coming from any of the grav modules. He manages to pull the craft up and levels it out just as it hits the water. The craft hits the surface of the waves with an almighty jolt which launches it a few metres off the surface again, sending it skimming like a stone. It bounces again, then again as it loses velocity before finally coming to a rest.

The passengers are all battered and bruised from the experience, but no one is badly injured. Which is lucky.

Water is starting to seep inside the craft now as the explosion from beneath shattered the integrity of the vehicle.

It is obvious to all that the ship is beyond repair. She’s going down and, unless they get out within the next few minutes, all aboard will be going down along with her.

Jie gets tumbled around the inside of the flyer. Immediately she disengages the floatation device cunningly wedged under her seat then helps the others escape the sinking ship if need be. All happy, warm giddiness about being back on her home paradise world…gone.

Will’s first thought (after “ouch” as Grim’s knee drives the lumbar support pad on Will’s seat deep into his kidney, is “who let the woman drive?”

Realizing it was Stian at the helm, Will elects not to voice this. He then realizes that the ship is sinking and he can’t swim, resulting in a state of panics. He thrashes his way pitifully towards the exit, using every ounce of his meagre strength, and stepping on Grim’s sore knee. He does remember the medkit though.

Thinking himself a lucky bugger as well as how sensible a precaution it was to fasten his seatbelt Stian and has a moments thought about how his gear is stowed and what kind of flotation/rescue gear is on board and where the fuck is it?

As Stian unfastens the belt, he tries to radio up to Autumn on the Princess. All he can get from it is a few seconds of static though before water gets into the circuit and the radio expires completely.

Max, who is sat next to him was not wearing his seat belt and was smacked against the windscreen by the impact.

“Fack,” he cries holding his bloody nose. “That’s the last time I’m lettin’ you drive.”

As the water starts to pool around his feet, he then realizes that this is the last time anyone is going to be driving the vehicle.

“Fack!” he cries again. “I can’t fackin’ swim. I fackin’ ‘ate water. I won’t even drink the shit.”

Seeing how helpless Max is, Jie paddles through the water, and drags him out while thrusting a floatation device into his hand.

“Damn! Now we’ll have to spring for a new AGC and I’ll never get that pre-owned General Shipyards Axsailorater2 Manuever unit for the Princess!’ is Grim’s first thought after the rough landing.

Rubbing his sore knee as he spots the water seeping into the AGC, Grim grabs his Rifle and slings it over his back. Then he apes Jie by grabbing one of the standard issue HelpMeWe’reSinking™ flotation seat cushions, and, elbowing a few less important people out of the way, prepares to exit the vehicle calmly…

Stian, suited up in his vacc suit and breathing air so he won’t drown and using an uninflated HelpMeWe’reSinking™ vest strapped on so I won’t be sinking, gets out of his seat, taking a last glance at the caution lights on the instrument MFD to see if there’s any hint as to what happened. Although the display is lit up like a Christmas tree with warning lights now which are starting to fizzle out as sea water starts destroying the electronics, he is pretty sure that the explosion was not caused by any vehicle malfunction, or as a result of his driving.

He then calmly heads to the gear racks where he starts by strapping gear to him and continues by passing a dinghy to Taeva through the hatch in the rear of the vehicle.

Max and Will are of little use to the salvage operation and so, once they have their floatation devices employed, they just get out of the sinking vehicle and stay out of the way of the others.

Jie, Taeva and Grim manage to get the two dinghies employed and also a couple of the floatation devices.

By the time that they have managed to do this, the AGC is dangerously full of water already and it is now going to be a matter of seconds before the weight of the sea water inside takes the AGC to the sea bottom – taking whoever is still trapped in there along with them.

They manage to throw the lighter and most useful of the items inside the dinghies before they see that the AGC is now keeling on its side and rapidly starting to descend. Jie is the last one out as she holds her breath and escapes from the sinking vehicle, joining the others on the surface.

Grim and Jie both haul themselves into one of the dinghies and then start to pull the others inside it too.

As the last of the party members reaches the safety of the dinghies, they see the front end of the AGC finally descending down to the depths in a mass of bubbles.

“Fackin’ piece of crap AGC,” jabbers an obviously panicked Max. “Fackin’ thing was still under warranty too. I’m gonna give the fackin’ dealer a piece of my mind when we get back to Glisten.”

“That was no mechanical failure,” replies Grim, grimly. “That was a bomb.”

Jie looks around, but there appears to be no sign of any land or any vessels within sight. They are stranded at sea, and the light is already starting to fade.

All are very much aware of the fact that they are well over 1000km from any land here and so there is little point in trying to paddle in any particular direction. All they can do is to wait and hope and pray that there is someone around that might find them floating around out here.

They settle down for what most fear will be a long wait out in the ocean. At least the sea is calm and it is possible for one person to curl up in the bottom of each dinghy and sleep for a while.

Comments

OK, Tim, can you make a Grav Flyer check and post the results?

194-1107
 

Rolled 9+1+1 (skill +1 dex +1) for an 11

194-1107
 

Everyone takes 1d6 damage.

Immediate intentions everyone.

194-1107
 

Your roll results: 5 Your total roll is 5. Jie gets tumbled around the inside of the flyer. Immediatly disengauges the floatation device cunningly wedged under her seat then helps the others escape the sinking ship if need be. All happy, warm giddiness about being back on her home paridise world…gone.

194-1107
 

Will’s first thought (after “ouch” as Grim’s knee drives the lumbar support pad on Will’s seat deep into his kidney [for 4 dmg]), is “who let the woman drive?” Realizing it was Stian at the helm, Will elects not to voice this. Then his survival training kicks in and he starts mentally prioritizing the emergency supplies that can be grabbed easily on the way out of the sinking grav vehicle. He spares an instant to mourn Arvor’s baby and silently curse the gods that never seem to let the team get ahead. “Why don’t the bastards take those useless stun carbines instead?”

194-1107
 

Thinking himself a lucky bugger Stian rolls 1 for damage and has a moments thought about how his gear is stowed and what kind of flotation/rescue gear is on board and where the fuck is it?

What’s standard wear in the AGC? Was everyone suited and booted? If it transpires I was in my BVS I’m donning the helmet, sealing the suit and grabbing a life vest, donning it but not inflating it just yet.

194-1107
 

‘Damn! Now we’ll have to spring for a new AGC and I’ll never get that preowned General Shipyards Axsailorater2 Manuever unit for the Princess!’ is Grim’s first thought after the rough landing.

Rubbing his sore knee as he spots the water seeping into tha AGC, Grim grabs his Rifle and slings it over his back. Then he apes Jie by grabbing one of the standard issue HelpMeWe’reSinking™ flotation seat cushions, and, elbowing a few less important people out of the way * , prepares to exit the vehicle calmly…

  • Grim will need to be saved first as he is the most able to construct a radio out of Coconut shells. He’ll also need Taeva’s help repopulating whatever island they end up on. Jie will act as midwife for our babies. Will, expressing concern over Grim’s assumption of all decision making powers in the New Island Technocracy, will meet with an untimely accidental death by falling, chest first, onto a sharpened Conch shell. Stian, dressed in a really cool helmet made from a turle shell and Parrot feathers, will become Grim’s bodyguard, and Max will create a still, producing some of the finest Rum ever seen on Pagaton…

@Nick, Grim was most likely outfitted as he is on planet when danger is not imminent but is probable: FtI, Gauss Pistol, Datapad (water and element proof as it must often be used in vacuum or hostile environments), and his Dashin’Fashion™ Variable Camo GelCloth armor. In character, he wouldn’t have brought his VaccSuit dirtside in a normal atmos, though “Matilda”, his AutoRAM GL, may be going down with the ship unless he has time to grab her? Also, the AGC should carry small spare oxygen bottles for recharging Vaccs when she’s used in space, can Grim grab one of those and look around the cabin to see if there’s anything they can be used to inflate, possibly saving more of our gear than we can strap on as we all clamber over Will’s groaning form for the hatch? (Sorry buddy, that Kidney looks bad. I don’t know if we’ll even need to sharpen that Conch shell…)

Grim takes 2 Damage

194-1107
 

(P.S. @Jay, are you getting ready for your Galapagos trip? Email a photo if you can, I’d love to see what they look like! Ian)

194-1107
 

Before leaving the driver’s seat and assuming there’s power and that I’m not going to drown cos I’m in a sealed vacc suit I’ll attempt to make tight band/secure comms with Autumn or whoever’s on the ship.

194-1107
 

Jie can swim. Taeva can swim if she can roll over her homeworld’s hydrographic number on 2d6. You three Glistenites are screwed unless you have wilderness survival or can roll 11+ on 2d6 (Athletics is a mod).

Swimmers can grab STR + END in kg worth of gear. Non-swimmers can grab STR or END kg worth of gear.

194-1107
 

When last mentioned, Max had us cruising a few meters above the water, what altitude were we at when things went bang?

194-1107
 

Being less reckless than Max, Stian had brought her up just high enough for him to bring her down safely if he made a good dice roll. Maybe 200m or something like that?

194-1107
 

LOL @ Ian.

Crap, I thought Will had Survival 0. Seems not. He panics, thrashing his way pitifully towards the exit, using every ounce of his 4 STR, and stepping on Grim’s sore knee. He does remember the medkit though.

194-1107
 

“You three Glistenites are screwed unless you have wilderness survival”

Grim has Survival ergo he is not screwed. Sorry newb, Will. He can also make Coconut Shortwave radios. Did I mention that already?

194-1107
 

So, I am back to being the newb huh?

194-1107
 

@ Nick, was I wearing a vacc suit when things went pear shaped? Will make that roll in a mo as requested but am thinking that my zero g skill and athletics will help keep me oriented in the water but being in the suit means I can breathe! I’d argue that Stian’s cautious nature and being in a vacuum capable ship would equate to his wearing a suit but obviously the length of time being cooped up inside the (I guess cramped) AGC would maybe favour the tailored vacc rather than the bulkier boarding version?

194-1107
 

Stian rolls a 5 +1 (ath) +1 (dex) for 7

oops

194-1107
 

I want to wait for Steve to post before moving on as Taeva is the one who packed all of the waterworld goodies into the AGC before departure so will best know what to grab quickly.

Actually the rest of you know that you have all this kit with you:

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/moom/wikis/pagaton-shopping-list

A tailored vacc suit sounds a reasonable thing to be wearing while driving. A boarding vacc suit would not be the most comfortable wear for a 16 hour car journey.

@ Ian – Grim could grab either Matilda or an oxygen tank, but not both.

194-1107
 

The stuff is on the wiki now-I updated it a week or so ago:

AQUATIC GEAR
Heated Drysuits | 2 | include sealed helmets/commo/stab jackets/ knife /fins etc. Taeva’s has HUD in helmet (paid for herself)/ordinary masks & demand valves for backup alternative
Wet Suits |6 | include mask, fins, snorkelling gear
Underwater Tanks | 2 sets
Lift Bags | 12 | each lifts 100 kg
Bang Sticks | 8 | spare cartridges
Gas Spearguns |8 | spare spears
Tow Sleds | 2| each with lights, emergency breath mask, spare pony bottle, advanced digicam, sonar/motion sensor, gyrojet accelerator carbine
Water Dye | 8
Rescue Toolkit | 1 | includes underwater cutting gear
Flare launcher & Flares | 1 | assorted whistling, signalling and distress flares
Sandgun | 1
Water Jet | 1
Hookah Diving Rigs | 2
Compressor | 1 | field refilling of tanks
Emergency Dingies | 2 | include Personal survival kits x 8
Group Water Distillation Kit | 1

194-1107
 

Swimming is an Athletics speciality, though I think its fair to also allow survival a default.

The dinghies and water distillation kit/ flares are priority.The dinghies have basic survvial kits x 8 in between them.

After that Taeva will go for her diving gear and a tow sled

There is an option to gove us more time. Use the flotation bags to hook a load of gear in a tarp too, and retrieve it at leisure .

194-1107
 

“So, I am back to being the newb huh?”

It’s nothing personal, it simply helps to dehumanize you a bit if Grim has to push Stian under to keep himself afloat. As I mentioned before, Stian can find himself in Grim’s good graces once again should he agree to swear an oath of fealty as Grim’s man at arms. He also has to make that Turtle Shell helmet I mentioned.

Water Survival Roll

X
Roll: 1d6
6
Roll: 1d6
4

is 10, no mod for Athletics but I understand some benefit accrues from Survival/0 (and “B” dex?), so Grim keeps his head dry, lol!

Grim will grab whatever Taeva tells him to, at this juncture. He’ll prioritize according to her commands, leaving Mathilda for last unless we get a raft inflated quickly.

194-1107
 

OK, as I am suited up and breathing air I wont drown and have an uninflated HelpMeWe’reSinking™ vest strapped on so I wont be sinking, I’ll get out of my seat, taking a last glance at the caution lights on the instrument MFD to see if there’s any hint as to what happened then calmly head to the gear racks where I’ll start by strapping my 7kg of gear to me and continue by passing a dinghy to Taeva thru the hatch (is it in the roof of the vehicle or the rear or?)

194-1107
 

Working with the idea that the gear is bagged up in waterproof duffles and stacked in order of importance for access, next out is a lift bag. I’ll look for Taeva to see what she wants next…

194-1107
 

After the dinghies /flares/ water dist the rescue toolkit.

Then the expensive dive gear, then the cheap stuff. One bag can lift 100 kg so will only need 2 max for everything.

I suppose a compressor is too bulky?

A hookah rig useful as a

194-1107
 

Selfishly, Taeva grabs her own duffel too.

194-1107
 

OK, I have gone through Taeva’s shopping list and removed all of the items that I don’t think you would have had time to have salvaged from the sinking AGC. If anyone strongly objects or wants to make any changes (for items of similar weight/bulk) then let me know.

Each individual will have been able to save what they were realistically wearing at the time, any sidearms, blades, etc. that they would normally have on their person plus their favourite longarm or something of an equal weight/bulk. Will took the medikit.

Also, if you would realistically had any minor items in some kind of a bag – weight less then 5 kilos combined, I will allow you to take those as well.

194-1107
 

Nick are you sure you actually saved the changes. I don’t notice anything gone.

194-1107
 

Yes, the emailed version won’t show the items that I have striked out but the online version definitely shows them.

194-1107
 

OK, Jie is used (was used) to long swims in the Pagaton ocean with a load of supplies. Using Nicks water carrying guide lines she can keep afloat 20 KG of stuff. STR=11, END=9 First and foremost is her Laser Carbine. As she franticly tries to get the secondary MedKit she thinks about what it would be like if we were all traped on a deserted island. (She’d have to kill Grim first she suspects.)

Then she would attempt to deploy one of the dinghies for anyone feebly spashing around, unknowingly calling hungry water predators right to us. She looks for Will.

@Jay, yeah, man !! Pictures!!!

194-1107
 

Haven’t left yet but will gladly bore you with as many photos as you want when we return. I will be playing tomorrow.

194-1107
 

Yeehaw!! Capns gonna be THERE!!!

Grim helps inflate a raft. Grabs his basic gear and helps Jie with Will. If everybody is ok he’ll grab Mathilda rather than an O2 bottle.

194-1107
 

Stian, while pondering the ponderables at a lull somewhere between the AGC sinking and being picked up by the Callios asks why with a small army at his disposal and no law enforcement to speak of to worry about would the Overbluff chap have us bombed discreetly? I guess its a cheap option and takes fewer people to do but given his audacity at snatching the Connoisseur it would appear he or his minions have a few more options at their beck and call. Who tipped him off then? Which of ours snooping got back to him? Are his minions still watching us from orbit or afar to be sure we’re “dealt with”?

194-1107
 

Unless of course, you guys have other enemies that maybe now would be a good time to tell me about?

194-1107
 

Jie listens to Stians question about other enemies while operating the starboard oar. “We at Intersol tm have many enemies Mr. Lokkeburg. We keep quite a detailed list of them in a note book in the…” She looks back in the general direction of the crash. “..AGC.”

194-1107
NickPendrell

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.